Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Landlord Slumlord

When I started renting from my landlord back in July, I thought 'wow, he's nice!' because I started renting in mid-July, so he only charged me for half a month's rent. In August, I paid my rent mid-month without even thinking about it. On the 10th of September, I remember because I was in Manhattan, he called me. 'Michelle, we need to talk about your rent.' I was all 'what? I'm in Manhattan, I'll be back late the 12th so I'll be paying you on the 13th after class'. I followed this with '...I paid mid-month last month because of the previous month'. He countered with 'There is a $3 fee for everyday that you pay late past the first.'.........ahhhh, I get it now. Jerk.

So today I went in and paid half a month's rent. The little girl who took my money went to the back to get him because I had lost his phone number (if I'd known he was back there to begin with, I would have just asked to speak with him directly).

Annnnyway, he comes up and looks at the receipt his secretary has made for me and looks at me and says, "well Michelle, I can't accept this because the state law in Indiana requires landlords to have 30 days notice"....I said "With all due respect sir, the agreement we had between us has all been verbal. You can't just tell me now and expect me to pay up. One can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. (yes, I actually said that) You have my deposit. Can you not use half of it?" He said, "it all depends on how much I have to pay for cleaning".....I told him I'd take care of it. Then I asked him when I could expect my deposit money. He said probably the next day.

What I'm leaving out is the sighing he gave before he even opened his mouth. The little noice he made with his tongue after he said "well Michelle". And not to mention the look that flashed across his face when I said "all been verbal".

I suppose if I wanted to be a big enough bitch I could get my whole deposit, or try to at the very least. But I'm finished playing that stupid fucking game people try to play. If it was big (like thousands of dollars big) I'd persue. But it's not. I flat out don't have the energy to spare on douchbags like him who want to play the rules card when it's to their favor. Hell, this place sat empty for a year before I came along.

Greed just does things to people I guess.

Heh, my face is still hot and flushed. But hey! I didn't yell or get all crazied-eyed or anything. Yes, I too am surprised.

No comments: